“Nothing could be finer than to be in Carolina” and one of the finest places in North Carolina is our home town. There is a saying that goes something like this. I wasn’t born in Southern Pines or Pinehurst, but I got here as fast as I could!
Located in the heart of North Carolina, Moore County is about an hour south of Raleigh, the capital city. Lovingly known as The Home of Golf, there are 43 golf courses to include the world famous Donald Ross Pinehurst #2 golf courses. We are an easy drive to the beaches along the Atlantic ocean as well as a comfortable drive to the mountains. Fort Bragg, is located on the eastern edge of Moore County. Moore County offers a delightfully cosmopolitan atmosphere with a well educated population. The environment is safe, convenient and charming! That is why we love calling this part of North Carolina home!
Pinehurst is famous for Championship Golf. There are 43 golf courses here in the area. The PGA Tour Championships and the Men’s and Women’s US Open tournaments have been held here. In 2014, the Men’s and Women’s US Open Tournaments will be held in June. An international Kids Golf tournament will follow those tournaments. The Goodyear blimp will hover over Moore County practically all summer.
Southern Pines is famous for some of the most beautiful horse farms in the MidAtlantic area. Olympic trainers call The Sandhills home. The Walthour Moss Foundation has around 4000 acres that if available for fox hunting, eventing, hunter jumpers, and trail riders. The Weymouth Woods features the oldest Longleaf Pine in the world, according to the Forest Ranger. From cherish neighborhoods such as Weymouth and Knollwood to the Gated Golf Communities of the Mid South Club and the National Golf club, housing opportunities are varied and available.
One day while counting my blessings, I made a list of the top 10 reasons to live here in Moore County. Even though David Letterman stops at 10 on his Top 10 list, I have 11 on my list.
1. It is a beautiful and peaceful place to live! (It is home to the oldest Longleaf Pine tree in the world! 462 years old according to the Forest Ranger at Weymouth Woods. There are 43 Golf Courses that create fabulous scenery. The 1999, 2005 US Opens were held on Pinehurst #2 and it will return in 2014.
2. Wonderful Schools (www.mcs.k12.nc.us – public schools, There are many great private and charter schools)
3. Great Hospital (www.firsthealth.org)
4. This is a Safe Place to live!
5. Lots of great restaurants (Pubs, Fine Dining, and more…Many have live music)
6. Unique & interesting shopping
7. History Galore
8. The Arts are alive and well!
9. No traffic congestion (It seems like I am usually just 15 minutes from everything!)
10. Cost of Living (Lower Property Taxes than any of the surrounding counties)
11. Great Home Values!